The Kenwood Original TH-D74A is a full-featured advanced handheld Ham radio. It’s a triband radio and one of the best in its category.
However, it’s also one of the most expensive Ham radios on the market. And when you’re spending so much on a radio, it makes sense to spend a bit more on some useful accessories too that can help improve the overall performance and functionality of the Kenwood TH-D74A.
So without further ado, let us walk you through those accessories that can be a great addition to your TH-D74A.
Programming the Kenwood TH-D74A is not difficult, but only if you do it using your PC. If you’re doing it manually on the radio, it may turn out to be pretty challenging, especially for beginner Hams who may not have used such an advanced handheld Ham radio before.
While you do have the option of using the free Kenwood software for programming the TH-D74A on PC, you would get much better results with this RT programming software. It offers a higher level of flexibility, especially when it comes to things like being able to move channel memories around.
The accessory bundle also includes a programming cable to program the radio using your PC, as well as a mini-manual and guide to help beginners program the radio and get started with using it properly.
- Advanced programming software for the Kenwood TH-D74A
- Offers more flexibility than the free Kenwood software
- Includes a high-quality programming cable
- There’s also a mini-manual and Ham guide that turns out to be handy for beginners
- It’s not cheap, but it’s well worth the cost for beginners and other Hams looking for advanced functionalities
There aren’t many triband Ham radio antennas on the market, and the Diamond SRH320A is one of them. Most of the antennas are just dual band, but that doesn’t mean this antenna is a compromise in any way.
It has managed to receive almost universally positive reviews with the “Amazon’s Choice” tag for a reason. It’s a high gain HT antenna with a great whip that offers a lot of flexibility. It says it does not work for BaoFeng two way radios, but it does with a female barrel adapter. This would be a great plus as many Hams own both Kenwood and BaoFeng radios.
Many users are of the opinion that it’s the best triband antenna, offering a great frequency response on all the bands, 440 MHz RF gain, and improves the performance of the Kenwood TH-D74A significantly. The length is 14” with a max power rating of 10 watts.
- Arguably the best triband antenna on the market
- Improves the performance of the TH-D74A significantly
- Great frequency response
- Excellent build quality
- The length could have been a little longer, but at this price we won’t complain much about it
If you’re looking for a cheaper way to program your Kenwood TH-D74A, then the RT Systems KRS-D74 would be right up your alley. It’s another programming software that would make programming much easier for beginners than if they were to do it using the free Kenwood software.
It works on all the popular Windows systems, including the Windows 10 and its recent predecessors. Users mention how the software loaded easily and quickly and was easy to use.
It also makes organizing memories and other configurations much easier than with other software. It also includes a USB micro B cable.
- Great programming software for beginners
- Loads quickly and easily
- Makes many common configuration tasks much easier
- Much cheaper than the other RT programming software we reviewed above
- You may not be able to move the software to another PC or laptop without having to buy it again
If there’s one thing really wrong with the Kenwood TH-D74A, it’s the battery life. It’s very short and doesn’t last too long.
This is precisely why we recommend you get the Kenwood KNB-75L. It’s an 1800 mAh battery specifically designed for the TH-D74A, and is very functional.
Unlike other two way radio batteries, it doesn’t have to be attached to the radio while charging it. You can just put it into the radio and continue to use it. It’s an OEM stock battery and one of the few batteries on the market that loses little to no charge.
- Goes a long way in helping with the relatively poor battery of the TH-D74A
- 1800 mAh battery specifically designed for the TH-D74A
- Doesn’t need to be attached to the radio, and can just be put into it
- Holds the charge really well
- Not really a con, but some users say it’s pricey, when that’s only if you compare it to the cheap Chinese batteries that are definitely no match for this high-end Kenwood TH-D74A battery
If you’re looking for a cheap charger adapter for your Kenwood TH-D74A, you can’t go wrong with this one. It’s surprisingly cheap, although it doesn’t come from Kenwood but from a Chinese manufacturer, but still being pretty well-made and durable.
It’s a 12V DC charger, and compatible with a wide range of other Kenwood two way radios along with the TH-D74A. There’s a fairly strong shield on the lead part, a great smoothing regular, and a durable head with fuse.
Moreover, it works great with the TH-D74A, and a great way to charge it on the go.
- Surprisingly cheap charger for your Kenwood TH-D74A
- Comes from a Chinese manufacturer but is pretty durable and well-built
- Works really well with the TH0D74A
- Compatible with many other Kenwood models too
- Perhaps the only thing you can hold against this charge is that it’s manufactured in China, but the price and durability doesn’t leave much to complain about
Kenwood TH-D74A Accessory Buying Guide
As we mentioned in the beginning, the accessories we reviewed above would turn out to be very useful when it comes to improving the overall performance and functionality of the Kenwood TH-D74A.
The triband antenna we reviewed helps improve the frequency response to a great extent, while also making it much easier to faraway local repeaters that your TH-D74A would have a hard time without the right antenna.
The RT programming software kits we reviewed are a great way to program the TH-D74A for both beginners and advanced Hams alike. It not only makes the programming much easier and faster, but also helps access advanced functionalities that may not be possible with free alternatives.
The portable battery and charger are useful accessories for Hams that tend to travel a lot, and like to stay connected with the Ham world wherever they go.